Today was the first day I really saw visible celebrations of South Sudan’s Independence. The business I am in is full out or total boredom, and today was one of full out and I didn’t have any spare time on my hands to enjoy. But during my travels around town, I saw many pickups, driving around town with the new flag of South Sudan flying off it, music blaring, and many people in the back of the trucks hooting and hollering. Citizens are wearing teeshirts with their new flag on.
While in the bank standing in line for an hour, I was touched when the many of the locals broke out into corse of the new national anthem because they heard a passing by truck with playing it. By the way it was obviously payday for SPLA soldiers because the bank was chuck full of them!
The funniest sight I saw was a guy running around town with a pair of small flag poles some how strapped to his back flying his countries new flag. His hat was a flag wrapped around his head. The most comical was he wrapped himself in the flag, but one very crucial piece of his anatomy was not wrapped!!! It was at full mast with its own flag flying!!
No comments:
Post a Comment