I have been amazed the admiration people in at least Juba, Kompalia and Entebbe have for President Obama. I don't know why but I just assumed this part of the world would hate the USA and anything attached to it. I am constantly spotting t-shirts with Obama's picture on it. Photos are all over the place of him and his wife. Girls wear jeans with OBAMA written on their butts. I have asked a few of our drivers about what they think of President Obama and the USA, all of them have been very clear they admire the man. Previous presidents were not liked at all. They have all said, it is impressive to see a black man as the president of the worlds most powerful nation.
As Southern Sudan approaches Independence Day on July 9th I hope that this country can find its place in the world. I would hate to see it loose it's culture or go back into civil war. There are going to be major growing pains to establish a new country, develop infrastructure, education, healthcare, employment but I hope the citizens are patient.
No comments:
Post a Comment